SharePoint Sharpener

Obsessively Sharpening SharePoint

Script Error in RTF Editor – Work-around

with one comment


If you have worked with a localised version of SharePoint you may have encountered the annoying RTF editor script error.

Basically, the problem renders all instances of the RTF editor unusable, across the MOSS installation due to a common javascript error.

 

Symptoms

Every time a user opens an RTF editor and starts typing, a JavaScript error is fired, making typing almost impossible. This problem seems to be present in only some installations of SharePoint with regional language packs installed.

Here’s a screenshot of a Danish RTF editor with the script error:

image

The screenshot is from an English MOSS server with  the Danish language pack installed.

As annoying as the script error may be, it’s even more aggrevating that the error doesn’t occur on all servers with this exact setup. This means you can’t predict if a server is going to have this problem, purely based on the configuration.

 

Cause

The problem seems to be caused by bad code in one or more of the JavaScript files in the LAYOUTS folder. As you may know, the LAYOUTS folder is common for all sites on the MOSS server, i.e. all folders named _layouts is mapped to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS.

I can only speculate about how this can happen, but perhaps some versions (but not all) of the language packs include faulty JavaScript files. This could explain why this problem doesn’t occur on all MOSS servers with language packs.

 

Solution

Microsoft hasn’t released any fixes to counter this problem and there is no indication as to when or, indeed, if this will happen.

Obviously, my client needed a fix ASAP and this is what I came up with:

First, I installed Fiddler HTTP Debugger to determine which JavaScript files load when the RTF editor is launched.

Fiddler came up with the following list of files:

image

Note that 1030 directory is where the Danish files are located (1033 is English).

I now had a fairly good idea of where the bug was located but I didn’t have the patience to go through all that JavaScript code! Instead I copied the above 7 files from a healthy MOSS server (with Danish language pack) – and lo and behold – everything worked just fine.

My money is on HtmlEditor.js as the most likely culprit but I haven’t checked up on this.

Advertisements

Written by Thomas Sondergaard

June 27, 2008 at 9:06 am

One Response

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Thanks for posting your list of files. I had only copied over two of the files, bform.js and form.js. I added the HtmlEditor.js to these files and my problem was solved.
    Thanks again for posting this.
    Cris

    Cris Wisner

    September 16, 2008 at 9:10 pm


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: